Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Lessons from Onions

The post on how to braid onions was the fastest one I ever did. While braiding onions the idea hit. Photographing the steps was easy and posting them with a few tips was quick.

Then as I finished the job next morning, I began musing.


The way I braid onions is probably not the best. So I checked online for how to braid onions. Oh, others use string throughout the braid to give it more stability. But that looks more difficult to me.

It works to just keep adding onions to make longer braids.

Then my musings took a different twist.


How do the onions feel that are discarded and not used for the braid?  I know, I know! Onions don't feel. But if they did?

The ones discarded had these problems- long stem missing, rotting or rotten, long stem too hard, too tiny. Most of them are still useful but can't be used in the braid. Rotten ones are, of course, discarded.

Do I ever feel discarded in the daily thing called life? Why?


Because I don't have talents that stand head and shoulders above the crowd (Long stem) and I won't be seen in the beautiful braid?

Maybe you feel rotten or rotting? I think about a comment I made recently about choosing to love the unlovable. A church sister challenged me, Who am I to say who's unlovable? True. I am unlovable to someone else. But we all have those people in our lives who seem like rotten onions.

Loud. Controlling. Mean. Negative. Those are the kinds I find hard to love. Maybe yours are quiet. Positive. Too nice. 


Whatever the case we are all needed and useful in the kingdom. Those who seem unlovable to me are necessary for my refining. 


The long stem that's too hard... What would that be like? Physical deformity. I can rise above this or allow it to define who I am. Hearts are the same the world around. We, like Samuel the prophet, want to judge a person by their appearance. That makes it difficult for the "deformed" one.


A new girl showed up at Kid's Club. She is really short and has some other physical deformities. But she is really sweet. At twelve years old she could focus on her appearance but she's just jolly. Fun to be around. (She has Turner Syndrome.)


The Lord made each of us for a purpose. What is His purpose for YOU?


But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. 
1 Samuel 16:7

No comments:

Post a Comment