Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Rejoice!


The rising moon in sunset colors
We read Psalm 4 this morning- the two youngest and I. I usually ask them to comment on what we read. Christopher is sick and he said nothing resonated with him. Melvin said he had nothing to comment on or question either. So I proceeded to comment...

Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.  

We looked up "enlarged" in our 1828 Websters dictionary- it means to be released from confinement or restraints. 

O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah. 

"Leasing" is pretty much an obsolete word meaning "lies". 

But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto him.

If you are a person who is living your life trying to please God, if you talk to Him and think about Him, He will see. He will set you apart. He will take notice of you out of all the billions of people on earth and say, This one's mine! 

Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.  

Who wouldn't stand in awe at such a thought?! The Creator of the universe takes notice of me! Why would I even want to sin? 

Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord .  

Do we need to sacrifice to do right? Sacrifice what others think of you? Sacrifice friendships? Sacrifice family? Currently there are men I know who are separated from their families, spending time in prison because they did what was right. But they have put their trust in the Lord Who is greater than any evil. 

There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? Lord , lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.  

"The light of thy countenance" means something like favor. Do we think there's nothing good left in this world? Look to God! Let His favor bring you hope. 

Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.  

So glad to know the Lord! It's better than having plenty to eat and drink. 

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord , only makest me dwell in safety.

Such peace we can experience by knowing such an awesome God! We can sleep at night. We are protected by the King of kings. 

Psalms 4:1‭-‬8 KJV
http://bible.com/1/psa.4.1-8. KJV

I was so pumped with the message in this Psalm. The boys just sat there with straight faces, listening to me preach the goodness of God. "Uh." "Mmm." It didn't seem to resonate with their young hearts but boy, it sure made me rejoice! 

Just had to share the joy!  I hope these truths bless you today! And maybe especially in these uncertain and evil times. 

Also,  check out Webster's 1828 dictionary. It is a rather expensive real book to buy but there is a free app available. It's an amazing dictionary, referencing scripture often. So many of the verses used in the KJV are found here when you can find them nowhere else. 

Someone recently said that the KJV is actually good for dyslexic children. Newer versions are "dumbed down", much like the curriculum in today's schools. Do you want your children to have a broad education? 

For those of you who receive my posts by email you cannot reply to this email. The technicalities of making that happen continue to evade me. I guess it goes into cyber space if you do. If you want to tell me something you'll just have to compose a new email. I'm sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment