Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Cubing



Rubik's Cube is a 3-D combination puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik. Wikipedia


And it has taken over in our house. At least for four fond folk. I never paid much attention to cubes myself. They just seemed a hopeless mess of colors. If I could ever get one side fixed with all the same color squares the rest was such a tangle that I'd have to tangle the first color to right another. A really vicious cycle. Not something I wanted to spend my life on.

The paper in his lap is a new method that came with his new cube.
In the last few months Austin found a cube around here and an instruction booklet with the correct algorithm(s) for solving it. Please don't ask me any technical questions here 'cause I'm lost! (I had to google that alg-- word to figure out how to spell it.) The ones involved are always talking about this or that algorithm. (There! I got it right without looking.) And they find new methods online that they print out.


It is quite amazing to watch their fingers fly as they try to beat their own records. They'll turn the sides with 3-4 fingers, the bottom with their pinkies and the top with forefingers.


There's even an online Cube Timer that starts and stops with a slam on the space bar.

Mixing the cube

Solved! (That's seconds and hundredths)
Austin bought two for himself, with at least another one on the way, and Christopher has his own. Maybe the M's will decide to get their own too. The original one they found is loud and clunky compared to the new ones.

Do you cube?

What's your record?

You might need some Flex to limber up your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment