Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Life Today

Outside my window...
The day is very cold. The nights are very cold. (High of 21, low of 8) The animals' water needs to be checked periodically to see if they are able to drink it. The ice is thick and smooth on the pond, much to the boys' delight. 
But the sun is shining! And the days are lengthening now. Ever so slowly, but it helps my mind to know that it's happening. The boys keep quoting, "When the days lengthen, the cold strengthens." Must be truth to that.
I am thinking…
The thought has come to me a number of times recently how incredible it was for Jesus to come to earth. He had such a wonderful home of love and light, where everyone did His bidding. And He chose to enter a dark, sin-cursed earth where He chose to do what others bid Him. It hurts to think about the awful exchange. But He did it for the joy it would bring. To Him. To His Father. To us, as His inheritance.
I am thankful for…
...warm fire.
...freedom.
...the Bible.
From the learning rooms…
We read how The Wilder family (Farmer Boy) gathered in their harvest for the winter. We decided there is so much we could raise to feed our creatures. We raise our food so why not theirs?
From the kitchen…
We prepped our supper this morning so we could follow our own interests this afternoon. There is a sweet potato souffle in the oven, waiting to be baked. Lettuce, onions and tomatoes are diced; rice is cooked; burger is browned and mixed with beans and taco seasoning; and nacho chips are crushed for a haystack supper. All that's left is the cheese. The question is, "Do I make cheese sauce or shred cheese and serve with Ranch dressing?" 
I am wearing…
...the usual. Prayer veiling on my head, reading glasses, a dress (maroon), socks, shoes.
I am creating…
I feel excited. I'm actually getting a dress cut out, slowly but surely. I normally cut one out all at once but this one is taking at least three days. I know. I'm weird like that sometimes.
I am going…
I'm not going. I'm staying put. Lol. Seriously, I'm a homebody and don't go more than I really need to and then sometimes not. 
I am reading…
Not sure what's next. I just finished Red Scarf Girl by Ji-li Jiang. Not a happy story.
I am hoping…
...to get some apples canned. Just got a few bushels for $5 @. The boys really like canned apples with a topping of whipped cream (real cow cream).
I am hearing…
...my little, three-year-old nephew's prattling. He is telling his daddy that he was out hunting. He had gone out with Christopher and a toy bow and arrow. Little ones are so cute!
Around the house…
Melvin, Christopher & I are tackling kitchen cleanup and organization. They are constantly hounding me with the questions, "When did you last use this? Is this something you use? Do you want this? Do you need that?" We are decluttering for sure. Look out landfill and thrift stores. Here we come!
One of my favorite things…
Solitude.
A few plans for the rest of the week…
Keep decluttering and cleaning. 
Keep the men fed and their clothes clean. 
Make menu plans. 
Have a lonely boy over while school Christmas vacation is in session. 
Work on a dress. 
Plan the food assignments for the next sisters' sewing. 
Oops. That was supposed to be a few. Well, it is a few... relatively.

Here is picture thought I am sharing…
Creative son once again. This was made
using the whole set of Rummikub tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment